- This improves the efficiency the efficiency with which they are prepared.
- They act as guidelines or instructions to audit staff and facilitates delegation of work
- They provide a means to control the quality of audit work by ensuring that minimum quality standards are maintained.
- Ensures that all relevant issues in the audit area are addressed.
- It is not appropriate to follow mechanically a standardized approach to the conduct and documentation of the audit work without regard to the need to exercise judgment.
- Work becomes mechanical
- Client’s staff may become familiar with the method.
- The initiative of the audit staff may be stifled.