1. An investor approaches a broker who takes his bid/offer to the trading floor.
2. At the trading floor, the buying and selling brokers meet and seal the deal.
3. The investor is informed of what happened/transpired at the trading floor through a contract note. The note is sent to buying and selling investors.
The note contains details such as:
Number of shares bought or sold
Charges/commission payable etc.
4. Settlement is made through the brokers.
5. Old share certificate is cancelled (for selling investor) and a new one is issued in the name of buying investor.